At the heart of it, the Christmas season is all about friends and family, which means many of us will be expecting a lot of guests as we all get together for the holiday.
Whether you're a decorated hosting veteran or whether this will be the first family Christmas at your house, finding a comfortable -- and quiet -- place for everyone to sleep can be a BIG challenge!
Here are five tricks you can use to tune up the comfort for your holiday house guests during those not-so-silent nights:
1) White Noise Machines. There's nothing like white noise to block out sounds that can disturb a good night's sleep. A simple Marsona SleepMate will dramatically improve the sleep-comfort level of an entire room. A top of the line white noise machine like the Sound Oasis S-5000, with built-in alarm clock features and a huge selection of soothing sounds, is a fabulous way to make sure your guests wake up pleasantly well-rested and in a happy holiday mood.
2) Sleep Masks. Available in pretty pink or simple black, sleep masks make it easier for your guests to drift off to dreamland while away from home. Note: the more guests you're having, the more rooms get shared, the more lights get turned on as folks wander around throughout the night, and the more important it is to shield those sleeping eyes.
3) Foam Ear Plugs. They're inexpensive, they're effective, and they're an easy, thoughtful item to provide for overnight guests. If you're not sure what plugs to pick, our "Just the Softest and Smallest" or "Just the Highest NRR" trial packs can't go wrong. Or if you want to get really into the Christmas spirit (or even just really into your Christmas decor), you can even get your guests foam ear plugs in red and green!
4) Snoring Relief Kits. Of course, not everyone sleeps with a snoring spouse... but Christmas is that magical time of year when a few lucky loved ones are inevitably going to get packed in next to Grandma, the beloved family matriarch who just happens to snore like a snow blower. Snoring Relief Kits can help. A lot.
5) SleepPhones. These super-soft fleece headbands feature extra thin built-in speakers that make these headphones for sleeping comfortable enough to wear all night. Provide these little wonders for your guests, and they'll be able to plug into their own MP3 players and smart phones to listen to anything they like while they sleep. That's nighttime noise blocking, enhanced comfort, AND entertainment for your guests, all in one sweet little package.
So those are my top five picks and tricks for hosting guests this year. They work as well in hotel rooms as they do in your house. And as an added bonus, any of the above items also makes a great gift! Picture this: all those travel-weary brothers, sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and grand kids head off to bed, tired, cranky, and struggling to lug around all that stuff they over-packed... and then they arrive in their rooms, only to discover that an early Christmas gift bag stuffed with generous sleep-enhancing goodies is already there waiting for them!
Pretty fantastic, right?
Try these tricks yourself this Christmas, and you can sit back and relax as your holiday house guests spend more time dreaming of sugar plums and less time missing crucial sleep.
Just remember: a well-rested guest is a happier and more pleasant guest.
And the same thing goes for you too, holiday hosting heroes: make sure to get the sleep you need. Nothing improves how you feel quite like a good night's sleep -- and a home full of happy, comfortable friends and family is the perfect recipe for having a truly merry Christmas with your loved ones.
Until next time, be safe and love your ears!
--Sarah Bergman, Web Developer